Here is an updated spreadsheet of every minute of playing time for the USMNT in the Jurgen Klinsmann era, now updated with the November friendlies against Scotland and Austria. Enjoy!
A couple of interesting tidbits:
- Tim Howard leads all players with 2,726 minutes.
- Clint Dempsey is first of all field players with 2,104 minutes.
- Dempsey is followed closely by Jermaine Jones, who has 2,019 minutes under Klinsmann.
- Klinsmann has capped 64 players in his 27 months in charge of the USMNT.
- Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Jozy Altidore and Dempsey are all in the top 10 in terms of minutes, yet have never started a game together.
- Carlos Bocanegra and Steve Cherundolo, both who have not been capped in over a year, are 10th and 13th, respectively, in minutes played.
- Clarence Goodson, who most pundits would say is the U.S.’ fifth best center-back, is seventh in minutes played.
- Maurice Edu, Michael Parkhurst, Jose Torres, Danny Williams, Edgar Castillo, Oguchi Onyewu, Chris Wondolowski, Stuart Holden, Brad Davis and Sean Johnson – all long shots to make the World Cup squad – have all played more minutes than Terrence Boyd, who most pundits think will be on the squad.
John D. Halloran